Substitute Teaching at CSS
Do you get along well with young children? The Children’s Community School is always looking for substitute teachers. Sometimes we schedule subs in advance; other times we reach out for subs just the night before or the morning of. If you freelance or work part-time, subbing can be a great fit for you!
Subbing pays $15/hour (increased for the pandemic!); checks are mailed at the end of every week. For the rest of the 2021-22 school year, we are also offering signing bonuses to new substitutes. School hours are 8am-6pm, typical shifts are 8am-3:15pm (with paid lunch break) or 12pm-6pm (but can sometimes be flexible depending on your needs). Substitute teachers almost always work on a team with other teachers, and always work with administrative support available. Subs are required to attend a brief orientation before working, and are required to pass mandated background checks.
If you are interested in helping our community by spending time with young children, please email Stephanie your résumé. Experience with young children is required.
- The Children’s Community School (CCS) is located at 1212 S. 47th Street in Southwest Philadelphia. We serve children ages 18 months – 5 years old and school hours are 8:15am-6:00pm. Learn more about our program and approach to education at http://www.childrenscommunityschool.org/.
- Sub Rate: $15/hour. Sub are contracted workers and checks are sent by mail within one week of the dates worked. Payment for the 1-hour orientation is included on the first check after completing a substitute teaching shift.
- Shifts are typically 8:00am-3:15pm (with paid lunch break) or 2:30pm-6:15pm. Morning shifts are on a team with other teachers; Afternoon shifts are solo with a small group.
Clearances (Copies OK. Must be for work/ non-volunteer purposes within 5 years):
- FBI Fingerprinting: (found here) Use Code 1KG738, “Child Care Services Program Employee or Contractor”. Results sent by mail, $23.85 fee. Schedule now – takes time to get an appointment!
- PA Background Check: (found here) Form comes back immediately, $22 fee. Print the certificate, not the initial response page!
- PA Child Abuse Clearance: (found here). Results sent by mail, $10 fee.
- NSOR Clearance: (found here). Complete form and email to RA-PWNSOR@pa.gov. Results sent by mail, No fee.
- If you have lived in another state in the past 5 years: State Criminal Background check and State Child Abuse clearances from those state.
- Disclosure Statement: (found here) Sign and date after you have sent off all required clearances detailed above.
Additional required items:
- Resume with two childcare references
- Copy of current photo ID
- Form W-9: (found here) Note that substitute teachers are 1099 contracted workers. No tax is retained from your payments. If CCS pays you more than $600 in a calendar year, that information will be reported to the IRS, and you will need to report and pay tax on the income.
- Proof of Covid Vaccination: As of October 2021, subs must have received at least a full first round of COVID vaccines.
- CPR/First Aid Certificate (optional): Required in order to work solo afternoon shifts; please submit a copy if you have it. If not, let us know if you are interested in joining a future group training.
About substitute teacher orientation:
Join us for a paid substitute teacher orientation! Once your clearances are underway, reach out to Stephanie at email@example.com to schedule a session (available Thursdays from 1:45-2:45pm.) Please review our Adult Orientation handout and the CCS School Calendar before your session.