PHLpreK at CCS
With PHLpreK, CCS can now offer free, full-time care to participating children and families!
What is PHLpreK?
PHLpreK (pronounced “Philly Pre-K”) is a city-funded program that provides free early childhood education to children ages 3–5 at participating high-quality preschools. It’s funded by Philadelphia’s beverage tax, and all families, regardless of income, can apply. (PHLpreK is different from Pre-K Counts, the state-wide program to provide free, high-quality early childhood education to low-income children.)
Families who use PHLpreK are entitled to free, full-time care during the school year. That means at least 5.5 hours per day of care (not counting nap) for at least 180 days per year, with free lunch and snacks provided.
More information can be found at phlprek.org.
Can I use PHLpreK at CCS?
As of July 2022, CCS is PHLpreK provider! We have been approved for a limited number of seats for the 2022-23 school year; we anticipate expanding the offering in future years. Because we have such a small number of seats to offer, we anticipate having a long waitlist for seats this year.
At CCS, participating families can enroll for free in our Full Day program (8:15am–3:00pm, September 6 through June 22). Participating families can also choose to enroll in Extended-Day care (3:00–6:00pm), either paying tuition privately ($550/month) or using CCW funding if they qualify.
How do I enroll in PHLpreK at CCS?
In 2022-23 we have been granted a limited number of PHLpreK seats, and we expect a significant wait list for the program. All families, both currently enrolled and new, are welcome to apply, using the steps below, and applications will be processed in the order received. Note that in August and September 2022 as we get up and running with this program it may take us some time to respond to new applications, especially after all existing seats have been filled.
- Fill out the PHLpreK Application
- Notes on the form
- Page 3, “Demographic Information”—Please answer all questions, they help us to be eligible for grants.
- Page 4, “Income”—This information does not impact your application. PHLpreK is not an income-based program. Please enter this information as accurately as possible, to help the city track usage of the program and to help CCS be eligible for grants.
- Page 4, “Service Information”—If you plan to pick up at 3pm, check “Part Day”; if you would like extended-day enrollment, check “Full Day.” If you plan to attend during the summer check “Full Year”; if you plan to take summers off, check “School Year.”
- Page 6—Don’t fill out the staff section, but make sure you sign at the end (you can e-sign, or print and sign by hand).
- You can email it to us or print it out—see below
- Available in multiple languages
- Fill out a CCS Application (only if your family does not already attend CCS)—online only
- At the end of the application, choose “Mail In Payment.” You will not be charged.
- Families already enrolled at CCS do not need to do this step
- Submit eligibility documents to CCS
- Proof of age (child must be 3 or 4 years old on September 1)
- Acceptable documents include birth certificate, US passport, social security card, medical records, school records
- Proof of residency (proof that the parent/guardian resides in Philadelphia)
- Acceptable documents include state-issued ID, driver’s license, voter ID, current lease or rental agreement, social security award letter
The PHLpreK application and the eligibility documents can be submitted to CCS by:
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred)
- Photos of printed documents are acceptable, as long as they are clear and well lit
- Mail—PHLpreK at CCS / 1212 S. 47th Street / Philadelphia PA 19143
Once CCS has received all required documents and verified eligibility, we will submit your application to ChildWare, the online platform for PHLpreK. Once PHLpreK has verified your application, we will notify you of your admission or waitlist status.
CCS is required to submit applications in the order received, and to accept applications first-come-first-served.
What if I don’t get PHLpreK but I still want to come to CCS?
CCS accepts private-pay tuition. You can apply for financial aid directly from us, though the application window for 2022-23 has passed. We also accept CCW funding.
Questions and Contact
Questions for CCS can be emailed to email@example.com. Please bear in mind that as we launch this program in summer 2022, we are going through a learning curve of our own, and may take a little time to get back to you.
Questions for the PHLpreK program itself can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 844-PHL-PREK.